Friday, November 16, 2012

The Silence Is What Drives Them Crazy

Narcissus does not fall in love with his reflection because it is beautiful, but because it is his. If it were his beauty that enthralled him, he would be set free in a few years by its fading. - W.H. Auden

Nobody can be kinder than the narcissist while you react to life in his own terms. - Elizabeth Bowen 

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Withhold admiration from a narcissist and be disliked. Give it and be treated with indifference. - Mason Cooley

I know now that one of the characteristics of evil is its desire to confuse. - Scott M. Peck

The narcissist enjoys being looked at and not looking back. -Mason Cooley

Evil is unspectacular and always human, and shares our bed and eats at our own table. - W.H. Auden

He who is enamored of himself will at least have the advantage of being inconvenienced by few rivals. - G.C. Lichtenberg 

It is not love that should be depicted as blind, but self-love. - Voltaire

That roaring lion, the devil, will never let a soul escape from him without a struggle. - J.C. Ryle

There are thousands hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root. - Henry David Thoreau

The more he talked of his honour the faster we counted our spoons. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Utterly dedicated to preserving their self-image of perfection, [the evil] are unceasingly engaged in the effort to maintain the appearance of moral purity. - M. Scott Peck

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

I have discovered that all human evil comes from this: man's being unable to sit still in a room. - Blaise Pascal

Half the harm that is done in this world Is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm — but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves. - T.S. Elliot 

The devil helps his servants for a season; but when they get into a pinch; he leaves them in the lurch. - Sir Roger L'Estrange

May the forces of evil become confused on their way to your house. - George Carlin

Fear is pain arising from the anticipation of evil. - Aristotle 

Character is doing the right thing when nobody is looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. - J.C. Watts

The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out. - Thomas Babington Macaulay 

You do not wake up one morning a bad person. It happens by a thousand tiny surrenders of self-respect to self-interest. - Robert Brault

6 comments:

  1. That is an impressive list of quotes. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Withhold admiration from a narcissist and be disliked. Give it and be treated with indifference. - Mason Cooley"

    It's funny, my SIL and MIL seem to "get along" great. They aren't friends, per se, but they've seemed to find a mutual...use for eachother? SIL likes pawning her kids off on MIL. MIL likes taking over as "mom" and sucking up narc supply from her kids. I guess it works for them.

    The thing is, SIL does all of the things she's "supposed" to do (or that I feel I am expected to do as the DIL). She has the in-laws at her house all the time, she visits them at their home, she hands over her kids willingly. She gets in line with the family "ideals". Yet, MIL really has no use for her. She doesn't seem to particularly like her. They don't have a great relationship. They gossip and bad mouth each other behind their backs. MIL treats her as insignificant, really. She used to buy all my gifts (that she picked out for me-although they still sucked) and then got my SIL the same thing. She told my SIL that she couldn't have kids until DH and I had them first. She has basically told SIL that she is lower in the hierarchy than me. It was one of the things that really threw me before I learned about all of this. I wondered, if SIL does all of the "good" things, and still gets treated like a piece of garbage, why the hell am I trying to be like that? I know that once I "fell in line", I would be treated as a third tier family member too, with MIL's thumb over the top of me. Damned if I do, damned if I don't, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think, pretty much, you'll never be "good enough" in their eyes, because it doesn't matter (to them) what you do. It doesn't matter how hard you try or don't try. It's not about you, it's about them.

      Delete
  3. Great list! Thanks Jonsi, I needed it today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That line Jessie picked is my favorite too. They live to take offense and they won't be denied.
    You can placate someone who will not be placated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing all the quotes, Jonsi. I recognize and love quite a few of them. Having them all together like this gives me some insights into why. I grew up thinking I was in an unusual situation of my own making. Clearly, I'm not.

    ReplyDelete