Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Jonestown

jones·town/ˈjōnzˌtoun/

A former religious settlement in Guyana, established by Reverend Jim Jones, who led 911 of his followers to a mass suicide in 1978.

Ever feel like this when the narcs are knocking at your door?

 Jonestown
by Concrete Blonde

Sheep are running scared tonight
The cows are coming home
They cling together terrified
Afraid to be alone

The bees are buzzing around the queen
Waiting for a word
The ? are ? the scene
Collectively absurd

They're looking for Jesus
They're looking for more
Just what are they looking up here to me for
They're looking for someone
They're looking for Christ
They're looking for some human sacrifice
It looks like Jonestown again
It looks like Jonestown
It looks like Jonestown again
It looks like Jonestown

They don't know who to run to
They don't know where to go
Unless you tell them what to think
They don't know what they know

Repeating the commercial
Something they have heard
From someone not they someone else
Somebody good with words

I think they're looking for an answer
They're looking for more
Just what are they looking up here to me for
They're looking for Jesus
They're looking for Christ
They're looking for some human sacrifice
It looks like Jonestown again
It looks like Jonestown again
It looks like Jonestown again
It looks like Jonestown again

They're looking for an answer
They're looking for more
Just what are you looking up here to me for
They're looking for Jesus
They're praying for Christ
They're looking for some human sacrifice
It looks like Jonestown
It looks like Jonestown
It looks like Jonestown
It looks like Jonestown
Jonestown
Jonestown

 *If anyone knows what my missing lyrics are, I'd love to know. I've never been able to figure them out and I can't find any lyrics online that indicate there's anyone out there who does. One of the world's great mysteries, I suppose.
*Concrete Blonde is one of my favorite bands. I highly recommend their cover of Leonard Cohen's song "Everybody Knows" as well as "Joey" and "Roses Grow." Just a few of my favorites.

13 comments:

  1. Does your husband know how infinitely cool his wife is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure he's aware of my bad-assedness. I was a metal head born two decades too late and I missed some good times. Gotta live it up now.

      I've been rocking out to Concrete Blonde since I saw the movie Pump Up The Volume in High School. Love the movie, loved the band, loved the songs.

      Delete
    2. Pump up the Volume is exactly how I discovered Concrete Blonde, lol. And I'm a bit of a metal head too, much to my Tori Amos loving husband's dismay.

      Delete
    3. I recently got my metal evolution education, and as the Tori type in my household, it really opened up our options!

      Delete
  2. I like both this song and Everybody Knows quite a lot too. :)

    It's funny you make this comparison because I'd always ask myself,"What kind of idiot gets embroiled in a psychopath's cult?"

    Little did I realize I'd already been indoctrinated in my FOO's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one badass mama. Spot on, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Johnette Napolitano has such a gorgeous voice! I like Concrete Blonde's songs Tomorrow Wendy and Caroline, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Unless you tell them what to think
    THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY KNOW"

    There it is and there we remain unless and until we start telling our reality to ourselves. In all it's unvarnished ugliness. FWIW, I've learned this much on my journey: I survived what happened. I will survive the re-telling, the processing. I KNOW I will never again sacrifice my reality to some abstract-filled-with-real-actors "reality:" That's THEIR "script" and they're entitled to their "copy."
    But don't you DARE tell me I'm not just as "entitled" to my own. Mine is ugly, but the costs associated with reading over someone else's "shoulder" damn near cost me my life.
    TW

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Concrete Blonde: "Someday" is my dream for ACoNS-every last one of us, no matter where we are on our journey, I DO "hope and "pray" that every *last* one of us does, in our own time, in our own ways come home to ourselves. Where IMO, we always "belonged" before we even realized it and long before we were in a position to make some hard, painful "choices."
    I have so very much hope for ALL of us (me too despite my advancing age) and I'm so in awe as you allow me to participate in your journey. I do feel "privileged" to participate, even if it's only vicariously. You all humble me by what I see as individual greatness. By unmitigated courage. By telling your truth.
    Y'all bring me to my knees. In a GOOD way.
    TW (FWIW)

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE1B23xGpsI

    Rommel wore a ring on his finger
    He only took it off when he flew his plane
    Once he told me why
    He said we all have to fly
    Someday
    We all have to fly
    Someday.
    The T.V. preacher can't be bothered
    With those petty things
    He stays a step removed so they say
    He's pipin' music in

    We all have to sin
    Someday
    We all have to sin
    Someday.
    Workin' on that great Alaska pipeline
    Many men were lost in the pipe
    They went to fuelin' cars
    How smog might turn to stars
    Someday
    Smog might turn to stars
    Someday.
    Hold me baby, put your arms around me
    Give me all the love you have to give
    Tomorrow won't be late
    We won't have to wait
    Someday
    We won't have to wait
    Someday.

    ReplyDelete