Sunday, October 28, 2012

Hurricane Sandy

Hello Dear Friends and readers,

As you probably know, the East Coast is about to be pummeled by Hurricane Sandy. According to recent weather reports, we are not going to be hit quite as hard as we originally thought, but it does not matter so much that the eye of the storm isn't passing directly over us because, "the most severe weather will be on the side of the storm that's hitting [our state]." It's pretty definitive that our area is going to be hit by very strong gusts of wind, sustained over the next few days, as well as lots of rain and likely flooding. We live in a coastal town, although we are about a mile away from shore, so we're hoping not to have to be evacuated from our home. So far, some of our neighboring towns are in the process of evacuating people who reside in low-lying areas.

I may be offline for a couple of days, but we obviously won't have any way of knowing that until the storm hits. So if you don't hear from us for a while, it's likely because we've lost power/internet service or that we have been evacuated. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we aren't asked to evacuate.) I'll do my best to continue posting any comments that come my way, and I'm going to stay hooked up the internet for as long as possible. With any luck, we won't lose power, but at this point it seems likely that will happen.

This upcoming hurricane brought back memories from last year's Hurricane Irene, when NMIL used it to pretend she cared about us, long enough to break NC and send DH an email at work to let him know that she was "just a phone call away if we needed anything." DH and I have both been wondering what NMIL might try, if anything, in regards to this particular storm. I've come to learn that nothing is a guarantee with narcissists, and that the only thing you can really expect from them is the unexpected. Even in their games of manipulation, narcs tend to be unpredictable and unreliable. Now that we have ensured that any messages from DH's FOO get rejected from his work email, I'm not really sure what mode of communication they'll choose to continue their plays of forcing DH to listen to them. As with the coming storm, time will tell. Either they'll hit us, or they won't. We just have to prepare for the worse and hope that it passes us by without doing too much damage.

We're expecting the (weather) storm to start hitting us early tomorrow morning around 2:00 AM, with the worst hitting us from about noon on Monday until 8:00 AM on Tuesday. Honestly, my biggest concern at this point, besides NMIL and Co. trying to use this as a lame excuse to contact my husband, is the huge tree we have in front of our house. I remember last year, watching the limbs on that tree whipping around furiously, and being reminded of the tree that fell between our neighbor's house and ours in a much less severe storm in 2009. But the thing is that there really is no sense in worrying. Whether the tree comes down or not; whether NMIL contacts us or not, we have no control over either scenario, and we're as prepared as we can be for whatever may come.

Whatever happens, I'll be back online as soon as possible to let you know. Wish us luck!

Love,

Jonsi

19 comments:

  1. And to anyone else who is going to be hit by this storm (Gladys!) we're wishing you luck as well. Make lots of pasta and keep those empty ice cream containers handy! :o)

    Be safe and be well.

    Love, Jonsi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending lots of love to you and family to stay safe! Fingers crossed, but whatever happens, you know I'll be there to help assess and clean up the damage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck. I had another comment all worked up but it'll have to wait. Until I got to the second paragraph I thought you were talking about the binary storm system of Char and Cal.
    My bad.
    I always kind of like bad weather. Hole up with food and beer. Kind of like camping. Of course that's if you still have a roof on your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on using some of my time contemplating the Char/Cal storm. That storm isn't over yet, if you ask me.

      Delete
    2. Not by a long shot. I don't give a fuck. I think it's hilarious to see the strong and the wise scatter like roaches because we use the f-word.
      It's a strange study of human psyche.
      You've got women that come off like an ax wielding Carrie Nations that poof into pixie dust at the first sound of their followers in dissent.

      Delete
  4. Dear friend, I am saying a prayer for you and your family and your home. Please let us know how thing are going when and if you can. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessie! I will let everyone know as soon as possible, and with any luck, I won't even lose internet service. Here's hoping!

      Delete
  5. Jonsi,
    Take care of you and yours in the best way that you can and I hope that all will be well…. We don't have hurricanes where I live, but we do have blizzards and my dd's have fond memories of the Power Outage games we played, like Uno and hide and go seek in the dark with flashlights and building blanket forts.
    I've no doubt that you and your dh will use whatever mama nature throws at you to be an even stronger family.

    Love and pixie dust,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making wishes on that pixie dust over here. Thanks Vanci. Lots and lots of hugs.

      Delete
  6. Be safe, Little One, you and your family. I'm not far behind ya, but no one's gonna miss me anyway so the Geriatric cat and I are locked 'n loaded considering I'm surrounded by the "Great Northern Arboreal Forest" on 3 sides and a river across the "road" such as it is. Kayak/paddle is inside (damn, they take up a LOT of room) and I'm doin' some last minute stuff like making sure I DO have enough batteries etc.
    Wouldn't ya know, I had a phenomenal grocery shopping expedition on Fri. so my little stand-up freezer is loaded with goodies. Some of which I'm cookin' as we "speak."
    Anyone want some vegetable beef soup? Yep, from "scratch" because I don't have enough of the OTHER "scratch" to buy it.
    Take care, all of you, OK? We've survived Tsunamis courtesy of our NFoolishness with far less knowledge or prep. Were ready to rock-'n-roll no matter WHAT.
    And we didn't even have "Insurance" to cover the "Damages."
    Ain't it a shame?!
    TW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you and your dear little family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Jonsi,

    We're in the direct path of the storm, but expecting it later than you. So far we've had some rain and a couple of power flickers. My email's out but all other internet connections are fine. I've got a bag of chocolate chips and some crisp fall apples, and I expect to weather the storm just fine. Hope you and yours also emerge victorious from the storm.
    --LurkerLoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LurkerLoo,

      Thanks for the well wishes. It's about 9:30 PM right now and we've only had the occasional (small) gusts of wind and no rain to speak of. It's rather ominous out, during this "calm before the storm." We'll make it through this, and so will you!

      Hugs,

      Jonsi

      Delete
    2. Good luck! Hope it goes quickly and harmlessly.

      Delete
  9. Thinking about you. Hoping you are all just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jonsi, so glad we both (and our families) made it through! I'm very glad that you're ok.

    ReplyDelete