Saturday, April 21, 2012

Celebration

Kiki, over at The Hardest Battle is posting her very first Annual (Re) Birthday Party, in celebration of the one-year anniversary of her first stand against her NPs. DH and I will be celebrating our own Annual (Re) Birthday Party tomorrow, as April 22nd marks the one-year anniversary of our decision to go No Contact with DH's FOO. (I'll likely do a special post tomorrow, though it probably won't be as fantastic as Kiki's own).

I want to say thank you to Kiki, for all the work that she is doing, has done, and will continue to do. Like so many of our fellow bloggers, Kiki is a representation of beauty and strength, and I, for one, very much appreciate the time and effort she put into planning her (Re) Birthday Party. Joining in her special day made me feel like I'm part of such a special group of people - Though we're all separated by physical distance, we are joined by emotional closeness. I am so thankful to be a part of this group, this family. And people like Kiki continue to amaze me: You are all proof that, though dysfunction often breeds dysfunction, there are MANY exceptions to the rule.

You, my dear friends, are true diamonds in the rough.

Diamonds in the Rough
by: Social Distortion


Well I've been up, yeah,
And I've been down.
Been kicked around, yeah,
This god-forsaken town.
So many faults, so little time.
I've gotta find my piece of mind.
Piece of mind. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

I was looking for somethin',
Anything at all.
Something to believe in,
Spray painted on the walls.
I've made mistakes, yeah, I've payed for them too.
What's a punk boy supposed to do?

Then she said you're like a diamond in the rough.
You're dirty and you're damaged,
All you need's a little love.
But inside there's a sparkle, like the stars above.
You'll be there in the morning, when the going gets tough.
There was a time when, I could not say,
I got a reason to live another day.
I'll pick my fights, yeah, I'll pick some more.
Won't you help me up from the floor?

I've been chasing you like a diamond in the rough.
You're damaged and you're dirty,
All you need's a little love.
But inside you sparkle, like the stars above.
You'll be there in the morning, when the going gets tough.

I've been chasing you like a diamond in the rough.
You're dirty and you're damaged,
All you need's a little love.
But inside you sparkle, like the stars above.
You'll be there in the morning, when the going gets tough.

Yeah, yeah, like a diamond in the rough.
Yeah, yeah, all you need's a little love.
Yeah, yeah, like the stars above.
You'll be there in the morning, when the going gets tough.

Diamond in the rough, yeah, yeah.
Like the stars above, yeah, yeah.
All you need's a little love, yeah, yeah.

6 comments:

  1. The birthday is a concept we use in AA for each year of sobriety. I had my 3rd birthday in January with cake, candles and a medallion presentation. In AA we call it a birthday because it was the beginning of a whole new life.

    Same idea when we draw a line in the sand with our abusers. However we choose to do it, we're starting a whole new life and Kiki's right to celebrate. Even though I still have some written contact with my NPs I flatly refuse to be manipulated by them or the NGC and my "1st birthday" is coming up on May 11th.

    Maybe, we should strike medallions for these birthdays too! In AA we get to have our 1st medallion inscribed with something meaningful to us, for May 11th, I'm thinking "Fuck 'em!" might work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Mulderfan! I LOVE your idea about making medallions! Maybe I'll work on that tomorrow for our "birthday" celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Jonsi, fabulous Kiki and the legend that is Mulderfan! I've been at the party- it's brilliant! I can't remember my date! It was definitely in May. Am going to check my diary for last year and see if I can work it out! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nyssa! Hope you don't have to be dead to be considered a legend because I plan to stick around and kick as few more asses before I die!

      Delete
  4. Mulderfan you are a legend in your own lifetime! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unlike my NGC brother, who is a legend in his own mind!

      Delete