Saturday, March 31, 2012

Playing Tag

Ruth, over at We Are One, and her sister Judy at The Project are participating in a fun Q & A, and I figured I'd play too! Here is some insight into the world of Jonsi:

1. What happened on the best day of your life?

I can't pick just one. I would say: the birthdays of each of my children, meeting DH, and our wedding day.

2. What is your greatest talent?

My powers of deduction; my ability to analyze details; my writing skills.

3. What have you done in your life that makes you the most proud?

I was most proud of myself for delivering each of my babies without the use of drugs - My labors were not induced, I was never hooked up to an IV, and I never received pain medication. There was a wonderful sense of accomplishment the moment each of my babies were born because I felt so empowered after the experience and happy that I had followed through on my desire to give birth naturally. I was most proud of my husband when he wrote and then read his Declaration of Independence to his NM, and when he eventually followed through on cutting off communication with her and the rest of his FOO when it became clear that they were not going to abide by any of his wishes or needs. I am most proud of my children every day, simply because they are my children and they are perfect, beautiful beings.

4. What do you believe in that others might doubt the reality of?

I believe that there are cures for cancer that pharmaceutical companies have a monopoly over which prevents those cures from ever reaching the public.

5. If you could travel in time, when would you go?

I would go to the 1920's - I love so much of the culture of that time frame: the fashions, the music, the political uprisings. I would also love to see what life was like during that era: my grandparents were born in the twenties and they lived hard lives. If I could, I would travel back to when (and where) they were born and view how they were raised and what lead them to where they are now.

6. What’s your favorite holiday and why?

Christmas, without a doubt. My parents did a phenomenal job of making Christmas a truly magical event for me and my siblings. That's the first word I think of when I think of Christmas: Magical. It was much more than just presents; it was about seeing my extended family, eating good food, enjoying the decorations, and enjoying the magic of the season. I loved picking out presents for my family members as much as I enjoyed receiving them. And, I scoffed at kids my age who didn't believe in Santa Claus. You know what? I still do. I believe that Santa is real because he is magic. And I believe in magic.

7. Any time in your life that you would like to have a ‘do-over’? Explain if you can.

During the time that I was living with my narc-ex-boyfriend, I missed the death of a beloved pet. Just before I moved out of my parent's house and in with my boyfriend, our dog had been diagnosed with a rare form of cancer and was given only a few months to live. I was so selfish and insecure with myself at the time, that I couldn't see how even my pets were being affected by my actions. To this day, I believe that I killed my dog. I hadn't been very nice to her during the months leading up to her illness, and I honestly attribute the cancer to the fact that she was heartbroken. I had adopted her from a shelter a few years before, only to abandon her when I met my boyfriend. She had the love of my other family members, for sure, but I've always felt that I betrayed her by breaking the bond that we made when I promised to love her. I failed her, and to this day, no one could convince me that I wasn't the ultimate cause of her death. Though I wouldn't take back my relationship with my asshole-ex, I wish that I could have learned the same life-lessons without having hurt my companion so horribly.

8. What’s your favorite movie and why?

I have a couple: Pretty Woman, because when I was a little girl (well before I understood what a prostitute was) I wanted to fall in love that way too. And really, what little girl doesn't want to be swept off her feet by a kind and lovely man (or woman?) and be completely transformed by that love? Pee Wee Herman's Big Adventure, because it's so campy and weird and I've used some of Paul Rueben's famous lines my whole life (I know you are, but what am I? Ahh, classic). A League of Their Own, because it represents the strengths that women posses, but that is often overshadowed by the archaic notion that men are superior. Ordinary People, because it's such a great character study; Robin Hood, because I am a Romantic at heart; Hot Rod, because it never fails to make me laugh, and The Edukators, because I love the German language (and culture) and because, again, it's an excellent character-study.

9. If you could spend one day doing anything you wanted, what would it be?

Taking my babies to the Lake, without any worries of time, or money, or issues of space. My aunt has a cabin on a Lake upstate and it's absolutely my favorite place in the whole world. What could be better than taking my beautiful family there?

10. What are your views on social media?

By "social media" I assume we're talking about the likes of Facebook and Twitter. To that end, I can not stand them. While I know of some people who use them safely and appropriately, there are far, far more people who use them for very unhealthy and inappropriate reasons. See: Exhibit A and NMIL. One blogger, who has since made his blog private, used to refer to Facebook as the "Narcissists Playground." Like anything a Narcissist gets her slimy little hands on, Facebook and Twitter can be dangerous breeding grounds for narcissistic supply. Furthermore, I hate that so many people use social media as their main form of communication, rather than as a supplemental tool. And even worse, far too many people use social media as a means to break other people's boundaries, often times with little to no thought as to the consequences of encroaching on the privacy of others. To most Facebook users, at least as far as I have observed, if they can claim possession of your personal information (including pictures) they will, and they never seem to have any second thoughts about posting it on the web. My short answer to this question is: Social media is being abused by the masses and creating havoc on our ability to communicate with each other on anything more than a superficial level.

11. Have you ever broken the law and what did you do? You needn’t answer if it will get you thrown in the pokey.

I have shoplifted. No need for much explanation there.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed getting to know you. I posted a link on mine to yours. Thanks for playing. :)

    ReplyDelete