Monday, December 26, 2011

A Wonderful Life

In honor of this beautiful holiday, and one of my favorite **Christmas movies:

Bread... that this house may never know hunger.
Salt... that life may always have flavor.
And wine... that joy and prosperity may reign forever.
Enter the Martini Castle!


I love this quote. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd say this is it. My mother has a tradition that she started several years ago whenever a loved one buys a new house. She enlists the aid of two others, and when they enter the new home for the first time, each person says one of the lines above, and hands the accompanying object to the new homeowners. My mother did this for one of my aunts, a very close family friend, my brother and sister-in-law, and DH and I when we bought our house at the end of 2009. I still have the sachet of salt that my mother made. It sits in my glass cabinet in the kitchen. (She replaces "Martini" with the last name of the person/couple who own the house). For that reason, I'd say it's a particularly meaningful quote for DH and I.

Mr. Emil Gower: I owe everything to George Bailey. Help him, dear Father.
Giuseppe Martini: Joseph, Jesus and Mary. Help my friend, Mr. Bailey.
Ma Bailey: Help my son, George, tonight.
Ernie Bishop: He never thinks about himself, God, that's why he's in trouble.
Bert: George is a good guy. Give him a break, God.
Mary: I love him, dear Lord. Watch over him tonight.
Janie Bailey: Please, God, something's the matter with Daddy.
Zuzu Bailey: Please bring Daddy back.


Just remember this, Mr. Potter, that this rabble you're talking about... they do most of the working and paying and living and dying in this community. Well, is it too much to have them work and pay and live and die in a couple of decent rooms and a bath? Anyway, my father didn't think so. People were human beings to him. But to you, a warped, frustrated old man, they're cattle. Well in my book, my father died a much richer man than you'll ever be!

You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!

George Bailey: Now, will you do something for me?
Zuzu Bailey: What?
George Bailey: Will you try and get some sleep?
Zuzu Bailey: I'm not sleepy. I want to look at my flower.
George Bailey: I know-I know, but you just go to sleep, and then you can dream about it, and it'll be a whole garden.
Zuzu Bailey: It will?
George Bailey: Uh-huh.

George Bailey: [the staff celebrates closing the building and loan company with only two dollars remaining, to stay in business] Get a tray for these two great big important simoleans here.
Uncle Billy: We'll save 'em for seed.
George Bailey: A toast! A toast! A toast to Mama Dollar and to Papa Dollar, and if you want to keep this old Building and Loan in business, you better have a family real quick.
Cousin Tilly: I wish they were rabbits.

Little Mary: Is this the ear you can't hear on?
[whispering in his bad ear]
Little Mary: George Bailey, I'll love you 'til the day I die.

Remember, George: no man is a failure who has friends.


Credit: It's A Wonderful Life (1946)

1 comment: