Friday, December 2, 2011

Enough About Me, Why Don't You Talk About Me?

I just stumbled upon a fantastic blog, where author Merrill Markoe has several ongoing discussions about narcissism.

She writes, "What is a narcissist? Any time you find yourself living inside that classic New Yorker cartoon in which two people are dining together and one says to the other, ‘Well, enough about me. Let’s hear what you have to say about me, your narcissism alert bells should be ringing. A friend of mine explained the credo of the narcissist as follows: I’m the piece of shit the world revolves around.’" I think she sums up Narcissism quite nicely in this descriptive article, the entirety of which can be found here.

I haven't read any of her books, but after reading articles from her blog, I find her writing to be humorous, truthful, and intriguing and I am considering taking a gander at her books. If I do check them out, I'll be sure to report back to you on my findings. In the blog post I linked to above, Merrill talks about dealing with her NM during Christmas every year. Her illustration of the Narc's patterns of gift-giving is right on the money and I think it's worth a read.

She also wrote a post asking her readers to submit examples of "great memorable quotes" by the narcissists in their lives. (And by "great memorable" she means "the quote that makes your head spin and your mouth hang open with its egomaniacal cluelessness.") She posted the piece in late 2009, but the commentary is very recent and she seems to reply to anyone who posts an example. That one post of hers generated over four hundred comments and there are plenty of good examples in there of "great & memorable" narcissistic quotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment