Friday, August 5, 2011

On Having Enemies

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.
John F. Kennedy

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.
Voltaire

The battlefield is a scene of constant chaos. The winner will be the one who controls that chaos, both his own and the enemies.
Napoleon Bonaparte

No accurate thinker will judge another person by that which the other person's enemies say about him.
Napoleon Hill

Enemies are so stimulating.
Katharine Hepburn

Let my enemies devour each other.
Salvador Dali

We can come to look upon the deaths of our enemies with as much regret as we feel for those of our friends, namely, when we miss their existence as witnesses to our success.
Arthur Schopenhauer

There is nothing nobler or more admirable than when two people who see eye to eye keep house as man and wife, confounding their enemies and delighting their friends.
Homer

Always write angry letters to your enemies. Never mail them.
James Fallows

When you're taught to love everyone, to love your enemies, then what value does that place on love?
Marilyn Manson

Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.
Elbert Hubbard

If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
Woodrow Wilson

A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends.
Baltasar Gracian

He will never have true friends who is afraid of making enemies.
William Hazlitt

You never really know your friends from your enemies until the ice breaks
Eskimo Proverb

A friend is one who has the same enemies you have
Abraham Lincoln

The nearest I can make it out, "Love your Enemies" means, "Hate your Friends"
Benjamin Franklin

Keep your enemies in front of you.
Chris Matthews

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake
Napoleon Bonaparte

Above all things, never be afraid. The enemy who forces you to retreat is himself afraid of you at that very moment.
Andre Maurois

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.
Eric Hoffer

The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
Sun Tzu

8 comments:

  1. "A man should keep his little brain attic stocked with all the furniture that he is likely to use, and the rest he can put away in the lumber-room of his library, where he can get it if he wants it."~Arthur Conan Doyle

    I work really hard at not allowing my "enemies" to live rent free in my brain. If all else fails I follow the advice above and put them in an out of the way spot. When they lose their hold over me I take them out, examine them as oddities and kick them to the curb with the rest of the garbage!

    As the owner of a huge mental "hamster wheel" I'm probably not in a good position to offer advice, but I don't think your "enemies" are worthy of the time it took to assemble these quotes and might be delighted to know they are in your thoughts at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, Mulderfan.

    I assembled these quotes, not to direct at my enemies, but rather because I'm trying to figure out how to be less affected by the ones I'll make in the future.

    I think you're right. Banishing them from my mind is the best way to start. It's also the best way to end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easier said than done, I know! But, I sometimes reach the end the day and realize I haven't spared my NPs a single thought. Hard, these days as I wait for the other shoe to drop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you, Mulderfan. DH and I were just talking about his NP's the other day (after not talking about them for...gosh, a couple of weeks). We're expecting the other shoe to drop too. Who knows when?

    What I do know is that life is MUCH more peaceful when the days pass and no thoughts of those wretched people cross my mind. Life is better without them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shoe just dropped. A letter from my NF arrived today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my!!! Mulderfan, see the comments I just left on your recent post.

    Wow. I wonder if your NM and NMIL are in cahoots!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "A friend is one who has the same enemies you have"
    Abraham Lincoln

    I am so glad to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have found us too, Lisa.

      Delete