Thursday, August 18, 2011

I Do Not Regret to Inform You

I called L today to RSVP for Brainwashed's baby shower. I was correct in my assumption that she wasn't going to pick up the phone, so I was able to leave the message I had planned on leaving. No blood. No sweat. No tears.

I said, "L, this is Jonsi. I'm calling to let you know I will not be attending the baby shower. Best of luck. Goodbye."

No fuss, no muss! I would have said the exact same thing even if she had picked up, but my job was made that much easier because she didn't.

I wouldn't put it past this woman to send me an email containing barely concealed guilt-inducing phrases like, "It's too bad you can't make it to the shower. You know, Brainwashed and I came to all of YOUR special events." Or better yet, she could send an email to my husband, which she has done before, trying to make him feel guilty because we won't be involved. It's not likely, but it's not impossible either, and it has happened before.

I know I was only invited out of obligation, and because etiquette calls for it. So I really have no guilt about not attending. No amount of guilt-peddling on L's part could possibly make me feel badly about my choice.

Anyway, the good news is that I don't have to think about it anymore and I won't have the nagging voice in the back of my mind reminding me that I need to RSVP. If L is going to send some rude email about what terrible people she thinks we are, then she can have at it. It's easy enough to trash that stuff and forget about it.

1 comment:

  1. Good on you, Jonsi! One step closer to freedom from dealing with the "gag-reflex crowd".

    ReplyDelete