Saturday, April 16, 2011

Sticks and Stones

This whole naming business is a big deal to me. I spent hours trying to come up with an appropriate pseudonym that would serve to protect my anonymity, while still representing what I'm trying to accomplish by starting this blog. I settled on the name "Jonsi" for a couple reasons. I recently watched the movie "How to Train your Dragon" and fell in love with the song that played at the end, during the credits. When I looked up the lyrics and name of the band, I had my stroke of genius.

Love the lyrics, love the song, love the name of the band. I am fascinated with the idea that if you open your eyes, there is a whole world of color out there that you can see. Forget black and white! I'll take the whole rainbow. If only we stop hiding, if only we stop fooling ourselves, the view is spectacular. I've always had a knack for details - I make a point of remembering. So the line, "I'll never forget!" rings very true. And the kicker: DH nicknamed me "Jones" one day and the name stuck. We walk around calling each other "Jonesy" all day long because we get such a kick out of it.


Sticks and Stones
by Jonsi

Eyes open wide, blinded by the sun now
Orange and white, dark red, green and yellow
Rainbow colors! Do not hide, see the view!
Step aside, go through!

Against the light, too strong, blow a fuse now
Everything bright, new songs, burning shoes
The look in your eyes! Break our bones into half!
Scream and shout and do laugh!

Let yourself...go (Oh Oh Oh)
Let yourself...go (Oh Oh Oh)

Stay close to me
Count one, two and three
Up in through your sleeves
Bursting through the seams
Open your eyes and see - You see

In through the sleeves, up the spine
over forests, flows down the hill
everything upside down!
I'll never forget!
'cause I'll never!
runs about, scratches, loosens up tangles
torn up by the roots with a look in the eyes!
a miracle, a wonder, we break bones apart!

Let yourself...go (Oh Oh Oh)
Let yourself...go (Oh Oh Oh)

Stay close to me
Count one, two and three
Up in through your sleeves
Bursting through the seams
Open your eyes and see

Stay close to me
Count one, two and three
Up in through your sleeves
Right beyond the trees
Show you how you'll be

Stay close to me
Count one, two and three
Up in through your sleeves
Bursting through the seams
Open your eyes and see - You see

Stay close to me: Count one, two, three
Up in your sleeves: You're right behind me
Stay close to me: Count one, two, three
Up in your sleeves: Burst through the seams

Open your eyes and see
You see - You see
__________________________________________________
So, in an effort to give credit where credit is due,
I owe both the title of my blog and my pseudonym to this
fantastic Icelandic band.

3 comments:

  1. This is certainly a stroke of genius indeed. I look forward to reading your reflections on the Human Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Minor technicality - it's pronounced "yownsey." It's Icelandic. He has his solo work (which is fun) and is also the lead vocalist and guitarist of Sigur Ros, one of my favorite bands ever. Their music is beautiful, transcendant, otherworldy...

    But I love the sentiment behind chosing the nom de blog. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon - Ha! Thanks for sharing this with me. I have a feeling DH and I now have a fantastic inside joke on our hands (No, it's pronounced "Yownsey!")

    I'll have to check out his other work - I really loved this song and I agree that it has an otherwordly sound to it.

    Thanks so much, you made me smile!

    ReplyDelete